C/Obispo Rey Redondo, 50 (La Carrera)
38201 La Laguna
Phone 922 255 141
Box office: from 10 am to 2 pm and from 5 pm to 8 pm
Camino de La Hornera, s/n
38205 La Laguna
teléfono 922 821 061
Phone 922 603 000
Universidad de la Laguna
Antonio Leal promoted the original construction of the theatre using a design by architect Antonio Pintor. Work began in 1912 and was finished three years later. The property was built over two floors, in eclectic style, with a symmetric façade and two towers that lend the construction a grand appearance. The Renaissance-style façade is highly decorated with a profusion of plant features and wooden elements. The enormous mural painting on the ceiling of the stalls and on the walls of the upper circle and gallery is the work of López Ruiz. Particularly interesting is the series dedicated to the muses of the performing arts by Manuel Verdugo. Throughout its history, Teatro Leal has played a vital role in the cultural life of the city and the island. At the beginning of the twentieth century, it welcomed the first films shown in La Laguna, as well as numerous events including floral games, music concerts and plays. It also provided a setting for outstanding local, national and international artists.
In September 2008, Teatro Leal opened its doors once again and rejoined the living cultural heritage of La Laguna. The theatre now has 608 seats distributed between the stalls and dress circle. A new feature built on the roof is the modern rehearsal room, with a capacity for up to 120 people. From here, a marvellous panoramic view of the old quarter can be enjoyed.