Santa Cruz de Tenerife
SANTA CRUZ PALMETUM
The Palmetum of Santa Cruz is a 12-hectare botanical garden specialising in palm trees (Palmae or Arecaceae, including around 2,400 species) and divided into biogeographic sections. It is the largest green area in the centre of Santa Cruz de Tenerife and was developed on an artificial hill between the city and the Atlantic Ocean: a former rubbish dump closed in 1983. It has the largest collection of palms in Europe along with streams, lakes and waterfalls. The Palmetum is the only landscaped hill along the city's coast and it has numerous viewpoints, with spectacular views of the sea, the city and the Anaga maintain range.
The project was launched in 1995 with funding from the European Union and the city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. The landscape design was carried out under the leadership of the agronomists Manuel Caballero and José Timón, the biologist Carlo Morici and the landscape designer Carlos Simón. The park has a large system of waterfalls, streams and lakes, a Palm Tree Museum with more than 1,000 ethnographic pieces, with laboratories and offices, a nursery, a greenhouse and a shade house, known as the Octagon, to accommodate the most delicate species. The collection grew considerably between 1996 and 1999, due to very close cooperation with other botanical gardens.
It was opened on 28 January 2014 by the Prince and Princess of Asturias.
Today, the botanical garden has around 2,000 plant species and a total of approximately 3,600 specimens. It has 470 valuable and rare palm varieties, thereby making it a reference collection. Amongst the species cultivated, 72 are endangered species and are included in the IUCN red list. The collection is focused on island palms and the most important biogeographic section is devoted to the Caribbean, covering an area of more than 40,000 m2. The collection of Caribbean palm trees is one of the largest in the world.
More information at the following links:
GARCIA SANABRIA PARK
Address: In Santa Cruz de Tenerife, between Calle Numancia, Calle Méndez Núñez, Calle Dr. José Naveiras and Rambla de Santa Cruz.
Phone: 922 60 60 99 (Parks and Gardens Office)
Open: Permanently open - Entrance: Free
It covers an area of 67,230 square metres. It was started thanks to a popular collection. The project was approved by Mayor García Sanabria in 1926. There are several valuable sculptures in the park, some from the I Exhibition of Street Sculptures, by artists like Pablo Serrano and José Guinovart. It also contains busts of famous people of the city, and many plants and trees that are catalogued like in a Botanical Gardens. There is a monument to García Sanabria (1938) in the centre of the park, the work of expressionist sculptor Francisco Borges Salas, and designed by architect Marrero Regalado, "La Fecundidad" is next to the monument. La Rosaleda makes an interesting walk, as does Los Bambúes and Las Casuarinas paths, the latter is near the floral clock.
LA GRANJA PARK
Built in 1976, it covers 64,310 square metres.
There are tree lined paths, including species of Canary Island palms, dragon trees. There are also exotic species in the park, such as American walnut, ombu, groves of royal palms, etc. In one of its, squares, there is a sculpture dedicated to Felix Rodríguez de la Fuente, the work of María Belén Morales.